Monday, September 3, 2012

Dutch Oven Chocolate Cake

This was my first attempt at cooking with a dutch oven.  I decided to start trying out desserts and learn a few skills before I move on.   We had a family BBQ on Labor Day so I decided give it a shot.  I searched the Internet for some recipes that looked inviting.  I found what I was looking for on Byron's Dutch Oven Recipes web page.

The recipe for Chocolate Lovers Delight: (Marilyn loves chocolate so how could I go wrong)

1 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup light brown sugar
1 (10 oz) bag of minature marshmellows
1 chocolate cake mix, prepared as directed
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips












Looks good.......
 Line the bottom and sides of a 12" Dutch oven with heavy foil. Mix the water, cocoa powder, and brown sugar together and pour into the Dutch oven. Add marshmallows and spread them out evenly. Pour prepared chocolate cake mix over marshmallows. Sprinkle chocolate chips over cake batter.
Cover oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 60 minutes.
Serve warm with ice cream.
Serves: 10-12


Raegan's motivation to help? The cake mix batter all to herself......
 Overall, things turned out pretty well.  I think I had too much heat on the bottom and overcooked it a bit.  I also need to get foil which will cover in one sheet.  The sugared mix on the bottom made for a sticky mess and leaked through the seam. It was not fun to clean up.

No comments: