Sunday, March 9, 2008



WHY SPLAT SHOT?

When I first moved to Pocatello, I was asked to play doubles in a Racquetball Tournament (Lefties have an edge in doubles). That tournament changed the way I viewed the game. It was no longer a casual game of hitting the ball around the court. Plus it was a game which tall people didn't have an advantage. I have now reached that age when I get to play kids 15 to 20 years younger than I, but I'm still trying!! Last month while participating in the annual "Ball Buster Tournament, I managed to win the "A" Conselation in singles and took 2nd in "A" Doubles. (Open, A, B, C, D) Note: There are no sandbaggers in Open's!

I have my eye on playing in the Masters Tournaments (45+) next year (National and International). The Huntsman World Senior Games are getting closer (5 1/2 more years). My goal is to stay in good enough shape to make it to the games......

Again, Why Splat Shot???? The sound of the shot is demoralizing!!!!

Splat shot: A splat shot is similar to a pinch shot. The ball first hits the side wall then the front wall, then quickly bounces twice on the floor near the front wall. There's a couple of things different for the splat shot though: 1. The splat shot hits the side wall at a point closer to you, and further from the front wall, than the pinch shot. 2. It's hit very much harder than a pinch. The ball then becomes contorted, seems to defy the laws of physics and makes a ripping sound. On a cement court, it sounds like a bed sheet tearing. Many people like it because in addition to looking cool, it even sounds cool. Everyone likes it because it dies much faster than a pinch. But the ball must be hit extremely hard to invoke those sound and bounce characteristics. It's easier to execute if the ball is pretty close to the side wall, roughly about 2 feet. The splat is used in the same manner as a pinch, that is, when your opponent is not standing close to the front wall.

No comments: