Friday, September 11, 2009

Ares I Ground Test

On Thursday September 10th, ATK performed a ground test of the Ares I booster at their facility near Promontory Utah. The test was originally scheduled for August 27th and was scrubbed with 20 seconds to go in the countdown. I was very disappointed to say the least because I went out of my way to get there.

I was now even more committed to make it to this event and hoped I would not make the long trip again to be denied!



I was not disappointed. The light from the plume was about as intense as looking at the sun.



During the test an extreme amount of energy was released by this bad boy..... The booster was about 1.3 miles away from the public observing area. The booster is producing about 3.6 Million pounds of thrust for over two minutes.





You can read more about the booster from the ATK press release found at this link:

http://atk.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=118&item=956

My test firing video:

No comments: