Thursday, April 9, 2009

455th Bombardment Group Memorial at Arlington Cemetrey

During the American Heritage Tour I took with Raegan, we had the opportunity to visit Arlington Cemetery. Almost by small miracle, I stumbled onto a monument dedicated to my dad’s bomb group. The “Vulgar Vultures” of the 455th Bomb Group Heavy (743rd Squadron).

While walking back to the bus, I just happened to look off to the side of the path and saw an image of a B-24 which caught my eye. Naturally, I stopped for a closer look only to find that it was a monument to the 455th. A Pin Oak has been planted as part of the monument.

Here is a link with a list of monuments at Arlington:
The Vulgar Vultures

It's a wonder I saw it!

2 comments:

cheeks said...

what a cool trip...i'm hoping to visit DC and all the monuments while we are so close! PRetty cool that you saw that memorial...i bet gpa would like to see that!

Mindy and Marty said...

you need to have grandpa look at your blog, though I'm sure you've probably already shown the pictures to him.
Reagan is a spittin' image of Marilyn in those pictures.
How awesome to have that opportunity for a trip like that ....jealous.